Monday, August 13, 2007

Taking Care of One-self, Physically, Mentally, Spiritually . . .

Any good leader will recognize when someone needs a rest. My old high school football coach was an utter master-mind at this precept and as a result maximized my athletic potential by taking me, a scrawny 167 pound sophomore and turning me into an absolute monster of a high school offensive lineman who could squat 605 pounds, power clean 260 pounds and bench press 315 pounds my senior year of high school!

All of this was attributed to the emphasis our coach placed on rest!

Well, whether it was future Div III All-American tailback Alex Plomaritis (Dickinson College) or future Dartmouth quarterback Andy Snell, or myself, future Davidson College three year Offensive Line starter, to rest one's muscles, to rest one's mind, and to rest one's spirit were key to our success as a high school football program.

Since that time, I have had to "re-learn" this key lesson of the importance of rest for healing one's muscles, mind and spirit. At various points in my life (Duke Divinity School or PhD studies) I wrongly believed that the more that I "multi-tasked," the more that I could "get done in a day," the better off I would be.

Boy was I wrong!

Whether it was flu bugs that left me lying on the futon wrenching in pain or needing to take a whole summer off at one point (1996) in order to "re-gain my sanity," without rest, we cannot heal, either physically, mentally or spiritually.

Ironically, this key Christian Virtue of Sabbath-keeping I did not even begin to explore until my third year of Divinity School as I was influenced by a Jewish Rabbi who was teaching there at Duke University. Through this Rabbi's influence, I learned that not only myself, but the community I was involved in, must practice Sabbath.

Since that time, although I have been a bit hard-headed thinking that I can "conquer anything," and that "I don't need that much rest," I once again am placing prime importance on getting enough rest.

So, as the new school year begins complete with schedule changes, appointments, classes, etc., please be sure to both practice a weekly 24 hour Sabbath (Saturday or Sunday) and also take the necessary time to rest when you need it.

When you do this, your body, your mind, and your spirit will feel much better. Trust me!

Blessings in Jesus,
Rob J. King, for a Newer, Healthier America under Jesus' LORDSHIP

No comments: