Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Two men enter, one man leaves . . .

"Two men enter, one man leaves . . ." In the movie (starring Mel Gibson) Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome, the crowd in the post-apocalyptic world of Mad Max movies chants wildly for the "best man" to enter the new elite.

Yes, in many ways the barbaric world of Mad Max movies is just that, barbaric! But, in many ways, such "singling out" through raw strength (personal) has always been how leaders (the good leaders that is!) have been chosen. Whether JFK or Abe Lincoln, the "best man" is whom we the People of the United States choose irregardless of whether that man was 'born in a log cabin' OR a loyal Catholic.

In some ways, although I abhor violence, and I am a self-avowed just war-proponent (i.e. no "first strike, but wars of defense only"), the toughness needed to LEAD is the best thing I have to offer all American citizens.

Yes, I am a committed Christian. Yes, I have friends who are secular friends of Christendom, and increasingly on the 'left' side of the political spectrum, but it is through strength of character that I wish to offer up this season of my life. Not for glory (I already have achieved that in abundance) nor for money (I could care less as long as I can enjoy life still . . .), but for love of country that I offer up my strength of purpose.

And yes, 'back in the day' I could hold my own "Mad Max" style. Whether it was blocking John Dalton, starting Davidson College linebacker, day after day in practice (as the son of then Secretary of the Navy, he was our toughest, most hard-nosed hitter!) OR whether it was going up against the hapless Washington & Lee football team, perennial losers on the field, but with Oliver North's son on the team, I generally won 80% or more of my battles.

Yes, I suffered a couple of set-backs. No, I was not an NFL prospect (at 6'0" 215 pounds and running a 4.95 40 dash I was less than stellar as a natural athlete), but with everything that I had in me, I still succeeded, and even was named a three year starter.

So, if you want someone who can effectively mix "brains with brawn" then I humbly offer up my services as a Democrat.

My father was a Democrat and Jimmy Carter fan, and I was a Democrat from 1990 - 2004, and after 3 years as a Republican I am sick and tired of the compromised right that trades its soul for corporate profits, sleaze and corruption.

Vote Rob King in '08

Love in Jesus Christ,
Rob J. King

No comments: