Sunday, November 18, 2007

Staying On Top of Things . . .

For years I have been a chronic 'time-freak.' Perhaps it was playing three sports in high school (two All-State honors) or playing two sports in college (again, two all-academic Southern Conference honors), but since I have historically always been 'pressed for time,' I have had to become rigid about certain life disciplines.

First of all rest. Karl Barth, in his magisterial Church Dogmatics actually begins his section on "Ethics" with, of all things, a discussion of the Sabbath! Barth, a political dissenter who resisted Hitler and who was also a member of the German "Confessing Church," saw the need to always place all human action first and foremost in the hands of God Almighty! Barth, an early Political Progressive (arguing for Worker's Rights in his native Switzerland) saw the need (potentially from his own involvement in Progressive Politics) to place all free human ethical acts in the hands of God, the Father, the Son (Jesus Christ) and the Holy Spirit. It took me until a Jewish Rabbi finally collapsed my self-sufficiency as a Third Year M.Div. student to finally see the need for Sabbath, but ever since, REST has been paramount for success!

Second, record-keeping is essential. If I cannot find an important document then I can suffer great harm.

Third, maintaining political relationships is essential. Whether it is old Theology Professors whom I will mail updates to (e.g. Stanley Hauerwas, Ethicist at Duke University) or whether it is going ahead and mailing in those alumni updates to places like Davidson College, Duke Divinity School and even my high school, Shorecrest Prep, one never knows when such political connections will help advance the Cause of Justice. In fact, my best friend from high school (a Georgetown Law School grad) is now a Defense Attorney for Federal cases of alleged fraud. Since the F.B.I. has targetted Christian Leaders such as M.L. King, Jr., such a friend is always good to have on hand . . . False accusations of impropriety can literally ruin a career, and, in fact, Political Campaigns are notorious for trying to libel the other candidates, even if no truth is being spoken.

Finally, and most importantly, never giving up my relationship with Jesus Christ is essential to 'success' both in this life and most importantly in the afterlife. I have been 'ordered' to not pray the Name Jesus in front of a group of all U.S. military personnel, but yet such a violation of my First Amendment Civil Rights did not even come into focus, at least not until I met with a career chaplain (United Methodist) who held the deepest respect for my religious convictions. In the end, fidelity to Jesus wins out!

So, if you want to be a 'success,' place JESUS CHRIST first and foremost in your life. ALL other ground is sinking sand. JESUS CHRIST is the ROCK upon which we must all universally stand. Also, you might want to make sure to get rest, keep good record-keeping and maintain those political connections. They may save your life someday!

Love & blessings in JESUS CHRIST, KING of kings and LORD of lords,
Rob J. King

No comments: