Thursday, December 6, 2007

Too much to do . . .

Have you ever 'taken on' more than you should?

During my second year of Divinity School, I literally almost lost my mind . . .

I was dating someone full-time, I was a Master's of Divinity student struggling through Hebrew (with a Semitics Ph.D. student in the class who busted our class 'curve' . . .), I was a Resident Advisor of the Pi Kappa Alpha Fraternity, an Area Coordinator over TWO sections of dormitories (a law student freaked out and dropped her section!), a club football player for Duke (post undergrad 1-AA player who teamed up with a Furman University Linebacker . . .), and finally a Youth Minister at Duke University Chapel while also serving as Editor of The Between Times Divinity Student newspaper . . .

Needless to say, I had 'taken on' more than I should . . .

But, somehow, through the Grace of God, I, armed with my brand-new MacIntosh Apple computer word-processed my way through that year, and eventually finished with a 3.6 GPA having taken advanced seminars in Kant, Barth and Systematic Theology (alongside of Ph.D. students from Duke's Department of Religion who utilized academic philosophical words such as eudaimonia which I had to always run to a dictionary to look up! :-)

But then, my life got EVEN BUSIER!

I served as a Methodist Pastor over two churches in the outer Charlotte Interstate beltway area, resisted the urge to EVER become a 'seeker-friendly' watered-down church (instead, I chose, High Church LITURGICAL EVANGELICALISM just like John Wesley, Methodism's founder . . .), played softball 'with the boys' (TWO men's church league teams), wrote article upon article to various Christian newspapers, including some Pro-Life Writing, and then eventually went back to the Academic World of Th.M. studies, then Ph.D. studies, all with some of the top Theologians and Ethicists in the World! This was after all Duke and Notre Dame we are talking about!

But now, as I enter a more mature season of life (complete with grey hair on my sideburns!), I realize that as Thomas Merton put it, "No Man is an Island . . ." I need help!

Please support this grass-roots POLITICAL CAUSE . . .

I am undeclared at this point, but TIME IS RUNNING OUT!

Ron Paul would run our country into the ground, making it something out of the 19th century. Giuliani just scares me! Hillary and Obama, well, no comment (other than I am much smarter than him and would want Condoleeza Rice over EITHER of them because she's so darn smart, being the former Provost of Stanford).

VOTE ROB KING. FOR INTELLIGENCE. FOR COMPASSION. FOR JESUS CHRIST . . .

Love in Jesus Christ,
Rob J. King, committed Christian Father of two

No comments: