Friday, December 21, 2007

The Empirical Verification of Catholic Thought

Friends,

The 'doubting Thomas' side of me always wants 'proof' . . .

Perhaps this is why many of my closest friends (similar to Henri Nouwen, great Catholic spiritual writer) have always been 'secular.'

I am a Christian and I believe the core tenets of the Catholic Faith (as contained in the Catechism of the Catholic Church). I am also a Charismatic.

But, although I believe much of what cannot be seen with the 'eye' I nonetheless am always looking for 'empirical verification' of Christian Doctrine.

For example, one of the Finalists for Time magazine's "Man of the Year" is Professor Randy Jirtle, a microbiological researcher at Duke University. While leading a small group Introduction to Christian Thought, Professor Jirtle and I quickly became close friends (for the 1999 - 2000 year), and I was simply amazed at how his research verified at the microbiological level central tenets of Christian Doctrine.

Another example is the Catholic Teaching concerning 'Just-War.'

Although it seems like the 'Democrat' position to oppose the War in Iraq, my own intellectual sources are Christian that just happen to (nicely!) add up to the de facto Democrat position as well.

Well, here it is:

Just War in Afghanistan = 70% of Afghan citizens actually support (rather than oppose) American military forces in their country!

UN-JUST WAR in IRAQ (first strike is not a 'just war' since it fails in the jus ad bellum principle of 'war for defense only') = 21% of IRAQ citizens support the presence of American military forces in Iraq!!!

70% versus 21% (source for statistics = The Economist, Dec. 15 - 21, 2007, p. 31)

Hmmm . . .

Are you listening "Dubya"?

Are you listening "Dickie"? (Cheney)

The late Pope John Paul II WARNED you NOT to invade Iraq.

Now, only 21% of Iraq citizens want our troops there.

As a "career military family" (The King house produced VETS in WW II, Korea and Vietnam to include my Father, Chief Damage Controlman, Robert Lewis King!), we KINGS ONLY fight if it is the RIGHT and ONLY option.

My father opposed war in principle, and so joined the Coast Guard.

Now my Father would never 'spare the rod and spoil the child' and so he obviously believed in a FIRM hand, BUT, WAR is for DEFENSE only! Whether it was old German U-boats or cleaning up the mess of an ill-conceived Vietnam war, the KING HOUSE rose to the occasion (similar to the John McCain Family . . .), BUT, we do not condone violence, nor do we invade other's sovereignty 'pre-emptively' . . .

By the way, my dear old dad (in heaven now with Jesus Christ!) was a blood-bought believer in Jesus Christ, a missionary Baptist.

Love in Jesus Christ,
Rob King 2008 (undeclared)

No comments: