Saturday, December 29, 2007

Connections, How we are the BODY of Jesus Christ . . .

The other day as I was looking at Facebook (political networking to support a Jesus Christ Progressive Cause!), I looked at the Fuller Theological Seminary network (I have a close friend who just received her M.Div. from Fuller).

Anyways, I saw this guy from Fuller named Rhett Smith who I had actually PARTIED WITH down in Guatemala! (well, you know how 'Evangelicos' PARTY, basically shared a beer or two, and then went home to sleep!). Anyways, it turns out that Rhett Smith has his own 'fan club' and is doing the Third Day/Michael W. Smith type of mass Evangelical marketing. Pretty cool, especially since he is a nice guy, and a strong believer in Christ . . .

Then just today, on facebook, as I was trying to get 'linked in' to the world famous Davidson College alumni network (I did after all party a little with Senator Strom Thurmond's son while at Davidson . . . Strom Jr. was an SAE and I was a Kappa Sig, but drank the same type of 'frat boy beer . . .')


But, although political networking does exist (inside and outside of the Church!) and for a variety of reasons (economic support, missionary work, etc.), WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE between political alliances and TRUE CHRISTIAN COMMUNITY?

Well, A LOT!

I can and have worked politically with a family from an Islamic background (even joked that my friend Alen run for Senator some day given his panache for maintaining a good, safe community . . . not to mention his NBA type 3 point jump shot :-)

I am also friends with a Progressive named Chad who is similarly a great guy with whom I can profitably work.

I have been hugged (literally!) by Senator Patrick Leahy (due to shared concerns with the illegitimacy of the Military Commissions Act of 2006--aka the 'Torture Bill . . .')

I have almost bumped into Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia (6 inches from him at a cocktail party in Portland, OR).

BUT, given such political networking, how is this different?

WELL, the Body of Jesus Christ has as the primary function (not exclusive function, but PRIMARY) of world salvation. I can play basketball and network with someone from an Islamic background, but I also shared Jesus with him! Similarly, I can work with secularists, but always also for their eternal salvation ONLY known in Jesus Christ (Acts of the Apostles 4:12).

Do I do this duplicitiously?

Well, of course! ;-)

I want to be the 'Jesus-bait' that then reels them in . . .

I do, however, let the politics 'be politics' and let the eternal salvation 'be about Jesus Christ' (interestingly, contra Catholic Liberation Theology that distorts the Gospel message by mixing in elements of Marxism). To talk of a 'just wage' is fine and agreed upon in Progressive political circles. If this is all someone wants to discuss fine. If they want to know Jesus Christ as their Personal LORD and Savior, ALL the better!

So, friends, if you want to know Jesus Christ as your personal LORD and Savior, then just send me an e-mail and we'll chat!

If you only want to worry about food distribution, cost of labor, etc., then you may also send me an e-mail and we will chat.

Who knows, I could send you in the direction of someone with whom you could work in the future. I followed a high school friend to Davidson College, but brought five other classmates with me! Similarly, I followed three friends from Davidson, N.C. to Duke University Divinity School, but then a couple of more since followed (one is Jason Byassee, my former Resident Advisor whom I supervised--he's now assistant editor of the Christian Century!).

Just send me an e-mail and we'll chat.

Love always in Christ Jesus the LORD and SAVIOR of ALL who call on His Name,
Rob J. King

2 comments:

Rhett Smith said...

Rob,

What's up? I remember those days in Guatemala very fondly. Funny that we have connected almost seven years later.

How are things going?

Rhett

Rob J. said...

Rhett,

GREAT to hear from you!!! Yeah, my good friend, Christina Cogen just graduated from Fuller and she's on Facebook and so I then saw you on the Fuller Facebook group and thought it was WILD!!! How'd you find this blog?

Love in Christ Jesus the LORD,
Rob