Friday, December 28, 2007

The God I BELIEVE IN . . .

"Well, the GOD I believe in isn't short of cash . . ."

--Bono, lead singer of U2

I just posted a comment on ABC News. The online article was concerning the 'Prosperity Gospel.'

Normally I defend the Biblical practice of 'seed offerings' and in MANY cases, this is exactly what the Bible asks of us! The Levitical Priesthood was literally SUPPORTED only by the 10% offering of the Hebrew community.

Similarly, the Patriarch Abraham tithed 10% of his income to the LORD when he met the Priest-King Melchizedek (the order of priesthood that Christ Jesus was born into).

To give is to be Christian.

Sadly, however, as Bono rightly reminds us, OUR GOD is NEVER short of cash. NEED a MIRACLE, then LOOK OUT! Food, clothing and yes, even cash when needed IS GIVEN, but by the LORD'S WILL, not by human manipulation.

Well, here's my comment . . .

I am a Professor of Ethics, a former Methodist pastor . . . As someone who is a member of the Charismatic movement, who speaks in tongues, tithes his income, and even gives seed offerings, sadly, I am in agreement with this critique of the Prosperity Gospel. Jesus Christ Himself in the Beatitudes (Luke's Gospel) said that 'Blessed are the poor . . .' Jesus Christ ALSO said, "it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of God . . .' Therefore, the Prosperity Gospel is directly contradicting the words of Jesus Christ, the Incarnate LOGOS, and therefore in grave doctrinal error. God does not act the way many in the Prosperity Gospel want to coopt God into acting!

Love in Jesus Christ,
Rob J. King

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Your critique of the prosperity gospel is correct, it is "another gospel". The fundamental thought process is that God is a lucky charm whom we manipulate. I have heard prosperity preachers (Jerry Saville if I recall, amongst others) go as far as to show, by entirely misquoting scripture in Issiah 45:11 King James has the words "command ye Me" and use this to prove that God wants us to tell him to make us rich. They basically say that if we don't proclaim things God "can't act". This is utter perversion of the scripture it places humans above God. If you read Isaiah 45 vs 9 & 10 you will get the context of vs 11 that God is in fact saying exactly the opposite that is claimed by the prosperity preachers. It is a mindset that many in the prosperity group have and people flock to them to listen, because their ears are tickled by a Gospel that doesn't require radical change of our lives namely to die to ourselves and be raised in Christ. It is a gospel of deceit and greed and god as a fairy god mother who supports us in our positions (and woe to you if you even criticise the prosperity club, misquoting from Samual 24 about not touching the Lords anoited). The proponents of the wealth club are at the top of the pyramid scheme, that relies on exploitation.

In the new testament Jesus asks for more than a tithe, he asks for sacrificial giving, give until it hurts (the widow and the mite), I look at my giving as an example (not to show off but to demonstrate my point) and I know that my financial position would be different, I could have luxury things and nice cars if I didn't give as much, but I give to church and to other Christian missions (primarily a Christian school providing education to underprivileged children) or as called and prompted by the Holy Spirit of God. I trust in God and know that he has provided me with all that I need, and will do so in the future. Give and plant seeds not to get back, but so that the harvest can be plentiful, I plant others can reap, but Jesus' will is paramount, God's position is supreme it is all for His glory and his work.

Samuel said...

Well, I just want to tell you that i've just write an article on Huckabee-Copeland issue for the Spanish magazine Protestante Digital, and I used the same quote of Bono on my Blog. You are free to come and look at my Blog. Nice to meet you..well, nice to meet your writtings.