Thursday, May 10, 2007

Happy Birthday to my favorite family member!

In the highest echelons of academic power, at points it is necessary to "honor" those who positively shape your life. One example is what is called a "feschrift" which is a collection of essays to honor a particular faculty member who has left an indelible mark on others.

Well, Michelle, my learned niece who has always read the best books and listened to the absolute best contemporary music (her uncle Rob's U2, the Violent Femmes, R.E.M., the Cure, et al), I will now honor you with an On-Line "feschrift" of sorts that will be a collection of wisdom that I have learned from you my beloved niece . . .

First, never speak ill of another person. It may (and usually does!) come back to haunt us!

Second, always choose one's romantic partners very carefully. It may (and usually did!) come back to haunt us!

Third, always believe in Jesus, but don't just go along with the self-righteous religious Christian crowd because they may themselves be far from Who Jesus actually is!

Fourth, always practice GRACE. Yes, we each can be scatter-brained about birthdays, dates on the calendar, but GRACE and love covers all of this.

Fifth, always go roller-blading. Okay, I never actually do this because I would get blisters, but you inspire me with your tenacity.

Love always,
Tu Tio Roberto (Rob J King)

No comments: