Friday, September 28, 2007

Work, labor and the Work of God!

Today I was reflecting on the nature of 'work,' what is it, what do we mean by it, and what its importance is in the Kingdom of God.

At many times in my life, I have had a distorted view of 'work.'

For example, during 1997 - 1999, perhaps the most financially stable time in my life (two incomes, married, housing provided by the United Methodist Church, nice annuities growing towards retirement, no kids yet, etc.), my view of work was directly related to finance. I was prosperous, but to be frank miserable. I loved my congregation, I loved preaching the Word of God, but like St. Augustine, my heart was restless until it found its rest in the LORD Jesus Christ. I would read feverishly from the great Spiritual Masters, names such as Thomas Merton and Henri Nouwen, yet still I felt a strange longing inside of me.

Then, whether it was a good decision or not, I decided to pursue Ph.D. studies in order to become a "Professor of Theology." I enrolled in the Th.M. program at Duke (following my M.Div. from 1994 - 1997), applied to several Ph.D. programs and lo and behold I became a Notre Dame Ph.D. student for three years of my life (followed by continued teaching at the undergraduate level since 2004).

Yet, still throughout this life of the Mind, my heart and my soul were restless.

Work, however, soon became a form of Spiritual Discipline. While a Ph.D. student, I would daily enter my library closet (little rooms with doors and book shelves in the Notre Dame Hesburgh Library), and then contemplate my Greek Orthodox icon, pray fanatically, and then read French, Greek, the early Church Fathers, contemporary social ethics and then close each day by returning home to my humble graduate student apartment.

Work became less about "payment" and more about growth in holiness.

Eventually, I began my journey back to the Catholic Church, have been somewhat frustrated at its institutional apostasy (e.g. professors who are religious pluralists, not fully pro-life, etc.), but nonetheless, back towards the rosary-praying, Virgin Mary-venerating Catholicism of my youth.

Along the journey (my own 'journey home') I have been engrafted into the Vatican-supporting apostolate known as The Coming Home Network, attended their conferences in 2003 and 2006 (and soon will attend 2007's conference!), and am striving to take my 'work' and make it all part of 'The Work of God' (Opus Dei). I even met with a numerary of Opus Dei in 2004, but the Holy Spirit has not yet moved me to 'officially' join.

Nonetheless, although not an 'official' part of Opus Dei, from support for the poor in Africa to helping to weed out heresy in the Catholic communion, I am finding that I rather like the vision of St. Josemaria Escriva, the founder of Opus Dei. To be frank, the whole notion that my own paltry work, whether it is grading 30 student essays or doing my dishes or cleaning the toilet or praying for someone's healing, can all be a means of sanctification is TRULY OUTSTANDING.

To work as God works, not that I am "god" in any sense, but that the Holy Spirit is working through me to do "The Work of God" is truly revolutionary. As Brother Lawrence, a monk who lived prior to St. Josemaria Escriva, one time penned, "Lord of the pots and pans and things, make me a saint by cleaning up the dishes!" (paraphrase).

To become holy by cleaning one's dishes (or by grading student essays or even cleaning the toilet!), such a Theology of Holiness is much needed in the United States and throughout the world.

May God bless MIGHTILY each of your respective 'works' and I pray in JESUS' Name that your work be part of 'The Work of God' for the salvation of all souls, here on earth and in purgatory.

Sincerely in Jesus Christ, the Anointed Messiah of Jew & Gentile alike,
Rob J. King

No comments: