Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Art, What is it, Why do we 'Need it'?

Yesterday I was drawing a pen & ink drawing out by the Bay. As I sat there, surprisingly an older wealthy woman (mid 60's at least!) came up to me, and standing quite close wanted to see my artwork. Granted, I did take four studio art courses at Davidson College, and even had the wife of the founder of Wal-Mart one time gaze on a latex painting of Christ (approximately 5 feet by 2 feet in blazing red, orange and yellow!) that I had been painting. So, "money" seems to follow me whenever I paint :-)

But, here was the woman, likely fairly wealthy by her demeanor, who insisted on spying on my artwork!

After reluctantly showing her the primordial drawing of the St. Petersburg Pier, and some palm trees, her reaction was somewhat astonishing since the artwork was actually good. (I did, after all, receive A's in my studio art classes, and at a place like Davidson no less!)

After finishing my drawing (not bad if one likes the Picasso-style of strong lines and efficient composition), I have come to reflect on what 'art' in deed is, and why it is necessary.

For example, recently, I have been trying to craft brand new Tae Kwon Do martial arts forms based upon my observations of the movements of the Florida yard lizard. The Florida lizard, unlike the iguana, hops and bobs, rather than scurries. Also, unlike the rather immobile, yet lethal alligator, the yard lizard moves quickly in spurts, but then stands motionless in order to preserve energy, focus on its prey, mate when necessary, etc.

As I was seeking to incorporate some of these Natural Law movements into traditional crescent kicks, low side-kicks and back-kicks, the sounds of my Bob Marley CD were also ringing in my ears. Soon, the yard lizard Tae Kwon Do forms started developing a slightly Jamaican rhythm, and dance, rather than martial arts was born!

So, how does one classify what I did? Was I doing 'martial arts'? Was I doing 'dance'? Was I doing both?

Perhaps this is why we need art. Art expands our vision. Art transcends nature, and according to the Holy Spirit working in creation, can assume even the quality of supernature.

Michelangelo perhaps caught a glimmer of this supernature when he painted the Sistine chapel. I think that my old lady friend who spied my art similarly caught such a glimpse, not by my own hand (I can do nothing on my own), but instead by the Holy Spirit.

This is why we need art. Through art, we catch a glimpse of God Himself, provided we are seeking after Him . . .

Love in Jesus,
Rob J. King, Artist for Jesus' Name Only

No comments: