Tuesday, July 3, 2007

The War over the War in Iraq . . .

I am a staunch Catholic.

Back in March 2003, when the 'winds of war' were in the air, I stood firm with then Pontiff, Pope John Paul II, in calling the War in Iraq an unjust war according to Christian Just-War theory.

I even wrote a poem (published in the South Bend Tribune) calling for a repentance for our National Pride. National Humility is what we now need as soldiers return from battle with arms and legs missing, as children never again will see their Army, Navy & Marine Corps fathers and mothers.

No one listened to Pope John Paul II. Save one priest friend (who has since left the priesthood, yet still teaches Theology & Ethics at the University of Notre Dame). Due to the influence of this priest friend (once a priest always a priest, the ban on married priests is a late, Roman invention!), I attended an anti-war rally at Little Flower Catholic Church in South Bend, IN.

Again, no one listened.

Now, we are left cleaning up the mess.

Therefore, in a call to duty similar to my Father, Robert Lewis King (retired E-8, Coast Guard), and similar to my Uncle, Floyd King (who fought in Germany in WW II), although I disagree with the initial impetus for going to War in Iraq (Afghanistan in contrast was a just-war due to the Taliban and Al Qaeda), I must do my part in helping to clean up the mess.

So, I am now an Officer in the United States Army (Reserve) doing whatever I can to help clean up what will now be a prolonged engagement with Iraq (complete with soaring gasoline prices as a result!).

Thus, contrary to anti-war protesters who really care little of our country, our soldiers, or our police force instead do what you can to HELP. Even if you disagree with the War please do not take it out on the soldiers or our President George W. Bush, a fine President who has served diligently and has been instrumental in keeping us safe from Islamic jihadists . . .

Blessings in Jesus,
Rob J King, On-Line Political Consultant

No comments: