Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Frats, Sororities and who "REALLY" runs America . . .

The other day I received a mailing from my old fraternity, the Kappa Sigs of Delta Chapter (Davidson College, N.C.).

It turns out that out of Davidson College's illustrious men's golf program that has produced 5 southern conference champions that 3 out of the 5 just happened to be Kappa Sigma.

Go figure!

When I was a Kappa Sig, football and track & field were the sports de jeur. Myself and Duncan Spears (both also Stuart Scholars which equalled Full Merit Scholarships as Christian Leaders!) were on the Track team together and Duncan, believe it or not, actually won the 400m men's Southern Conference Hurdles Championship. I, being an over-pumped offensive lineman, ended up as "All Academic Southern Conference" in Football.

But, as the historical records document, although Duncan & I were the best Kappa Sig athletes in our day (class of 1994) in other by-gone eras, Kappa Sigs represented the finest in men's golf!

And, for a modest donation starting at $2,500, I too could help support Kappa Sigs return to men's golf championship Glory!

Well, setting this humorous episode aside ($2,500 minimum donation sure had me chuckling! :-), the fact that I as a Kappa Sig would be called upon in Davidson Men's Golf "hour of need" (the team must really be hurting for money with minimum donations of $2,500!!!), demonstrates that whether we like it or not, and something I abhor, it is often less "what you know," but instead "who you know."

Unlike Duncan Spears and myself, both top-notch athletes who also boasted astronomical G.P.A.'s, many times things like hiring decisions, promotions, even Presidential candidacies are based less on merit and more on "who you know."

So, there you have it. Straight from the Kappa Sigma horse's mouth.

Blessings in Jesus,
Rob J. King, scholar-athlete for Jesus

No comments: