Tuesday, June 5, 2007

PRO-LIFE WORKING POOR POWER

Minimum Wage: Tool of Political Gamesmanship OR TRUE Concern for the working class?

By Rob J King

I grew up as a Democrat largely due to the influence of my Father, a hard-working military man who went on to work as a self-employed (non-union) carpenter.

Although the Democratic Party was initially appealing to me due to its apparent ‘concern for the working class,’ as I became increasingly more Christianized in my thinking, I quickly found much of the Democratic Party to be quite abhorrent in their own thought processes . . .

First, although I had originally been persuaded by the Democratic propaganda concerning the Pro-Life issue, when I actually admitted that I was wrong in my prior belief, I could then see that little arms and little feet on supposed ‘fetal material’ were instead ACTUAL BABIES, and that for millions upon millions of women (some with PhD’s), the womb was no longer a safe haven for little children, but instead a place of state-protected maternal genocide. Forget Rwanda or the Holocaust, in the Democratic vision of the USA, baby murder was to be protected by legal and often illegal means. Anything to silence the Pro-Life Movement, including court sanctions, gag orders and denial of freedom of assembly by Pro-Life Protestors (a Constitutional Right by the way).

Second, although Democrats are supposedly the Party that ‘favors the working class,’ instead the Democrats will use issues such as minimum wage legislation (something recently signed into law by our good President George W. Bush) in order to simply gain votes rather than giving a rat’s arse about the ‘working poor.’ The proof of this is that a minimum wage law that was passed yearly and directly calibrated to the rate of inflation would make minimum wage a non-issue. Similar to military ‘cost of living’ salary increases, a minimum wage directly calibrated to the rate of inflation (3% per annum?) would effectively elevate the working class while producing no ill effects to the economy. Instead, the Republican Party, as it is often supported by ‘big business,’ will generally oppose minimum wage increases (which really are no increases at all, just the wage finally catching up with free market inflationary pressures filtering down finally to ‘labor costs’). Similarly, and to use the ‘rat’s arse’ argument again, the Democratic Party, as it is supported by the sizable financial coffers of media such as television and Hollywood billionaires, similarly could care less about the plight of Wendy’s workers in New Mexico making $5.15/hour (often who are not migrant workers nor ‘teenagers,’ but very often the working elderly, or just academic low achievers who must do manual labor). No, rather than ‘true concern’ for the working class, Democrats will simply manipulate the political game of minimum wage legislation to make it ‘look like’ they are the Party of the Working Class, when in actuality they are simply seeking to clutch onto political power at any costs.

Minimum wage directly calibrated to yearly inflation. A simple solution for maintaining U.S. standards of living into the next century . . .

Won’t you now join me in ‘rattling the sabers’ politically, taking up the Sword of the Spirit, which is the WORD of GOD and forcing BOTH Democrats and Republicans to embody the JESUS-ETHIC?

PRO-LIFE, PRO-WORKING CLASS, PRO-MILITARY for WORLD PEACE!

Shalom,
Rob J King, Pro-Life Advocate of the Working Poor

2 comments:

Chad Lupkes said...

How many votes would it take to pass a law through Congress that would link the minimum wage with inflation? Has such a piece of legislation ever been introduced? Which committees has it been sent to, and has it ever had hearings? If it has had votes in committee, who has voted for or against it?

Washington State where I live has such a law that applies to the states. It finally took Initiative 688, approved by Washington voters in 1998, requires L&I to make a cost-of-living adjustment to its minimum wage each year based on the federal Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers (CPI-W). This measures the average change in prices on a fixed group of goods and services such as food, shelter, medical care, transportation and other goods and services people purchase for day-to-day living. L&I recalculates the state's minimum wage in September and takes effect the following year on January 1. - Source

So it didn't come out of the Democrats, and didn't come out of the Republicans. It came out of the people. I would be interested in seeing the research done to find the answers I ask above about who supports a minimum wage, and what has been tried at the Federal level to enact the changes needed to support our working class.

Rob J. said...

Chad,

GREAT set of questions. I do not have my files for the course I took in the Living Wage Movement to answer those questions, plus even that course and my own intellectual gifting has been much more "archetechtonic" seeing the bigger issues involved.

I would have to do some substantive research to answer those questions.

From what I know conceptually, you are QUITE CORRECT in noting how such movements USUALLY do arise in non-partisan, GRASS-ROOTS types of political activism. Baltimore, Maryland was a KEY hub of Reform concerning the Living Wage Movement and it was through Christian Churches (I think PRIMARILY African American Protestant and Roman Catholic) who joined forces to make Baltimore a better place to live through passing the Living Wag ordinance.

I LIKE what you have written about your own state, and YES, that could (and SHOULD!) serve as a model for the entire Nation.

Again, I apologize that I do not currently have the time resources to do that level of research (when elected President, you hire smart college interns over the summer to do that sort of stuff, just as I too did my "summer PhD" research for a Law Professor friend . . .).

So, when I get elected Prez ;-) I will find some smart undergrad from Emory University's "Carter Center for Peace" to nail down those details. As an Army Chaplain (reserve), On-Line Prof and preparing to teach also at St. Petersburg College in the Fall I am having to stay narrowly focused in my own research (likely doing something with Energy & Ethics for an upcoming Ethics Conference . . .).

THANK YOU AGAIN. You are a TRUE friend of ALL.

Blessings in Jesus,
Rob J King