Friday, April 27, 2007

Homeless Shelters & High Rises . . .

The other day I spent $78 for a pair of quite ordinary blue jeans. I also gave $5 to a beggar in violation of the St. Petersburg, Florida law that would have sent the beggar to jail.

So, why did I spend 3X the cost on a pair of blue jeans that I could have bought at Old Navy just a couple of minutes away?

Also, why did I engage in this Martin Luther King, Jr. "civil disobedience?"

Well, the answer to the second question is simple. Jesus said in His Sermon on the Mount "Give to everyone who begs from you," and "if someone asks for your cloak, give him your coat as well." (The beggar asked for $2, so I gave him $5 instead).

The answer to the first question, however, is less direct.

Was I trying to "drive up the prices" of blue jeans by buying the $78 pair?

Was I inordinately arrogant and "can only buy the expensive jeans"?

Well, no.

The reason why I spent that extra money was as a sign of resistance against the economic powers that be. As an On-Line Professor, I have found out that the sooner I am able to complete my grading, the quicker "the Corporation" (Orwellian Big Brother!) is to find a way to "maximize their earnings" off of my blood and sweat (I have taught at "for-profit" on-line universities since 2005). The reason I say resistance is because through "propping up" a standard of living slightly higher than what I "really" need, I am assured that all of my good traits such as multi-tasking, bargain shopping, etc. are not directed to the diabolical ends of exploitative labor practices . . . In short, if workers "scrimp & save" and buy jeans for say only $10 at Wal-mart, the economic powers that be can and do take such Virtue and seek to pervert it. "Well, look, those low-income workers really don't need that much of a wage" the Corporate Fat Cats would say. And yes, they would be correct. $2 for socks. $10 for pants. $8 for a T-shirt and the list goes on.

So, although I am always looking for a "great deal" (e.g. the Dockers-style slacks with the Notre Dame logo that I bought at Bell's outlet store for only $10!), I am also careful to never "go too low" in my standard of living. So, while on vacation, I went ahead and bought the $78 pair of blue jeans. What this meant was that Bay Walk shopping center is able to continue paying their downtown St. Petersburg rent, two young athletic men are assured of a good job paying more than minimum wage and there in turn the standard of living is raised rather than lowered in the downtown St. Pete area. What can I say, I am a neo-conservative economically wanting people to work and to work for a livable wage and be able to contribute fully to the economy through their own consumer spending. But for the one man or woman or family who does fall through the crack, then yes, a helping hand is in order. To be a follower of Jesus, or simply to be a good neighbor would entail such "compassionate conservatism."

God Bless,
Rob J King

No comments: